Friday, April 11, 2008

A Love Sonnet

My husband just e-mailed me asking for the text of a love sonnet he wrote me for our third anniversary.  He just found out about a love sonnet contest at Prairie Home Companion today, the day of the deadline.  Since I typed it all out for him, I thought I'd share it with you as well.
In keeping with our own anniversary traditions, he wrote this poem on leather, the customary third anniversary gift.  He also got me some incredible Fluevog knee-high, lace-up leather boots to celebrate our becoming debt free that same month.
Though rare, some things I've found improve with time
And though these can range from the finest wines
To a truly great pair of leather boots
To a Shakespearian sonnet, the truth
Found at their core, distilled by time's warring
Factions: a golden heart of Quality
Whose luster is only evidenced the
More through every passing year's abrading.
And as a poem can newly strike the heart
Each year it's read, or music find anew
Some hidden treasure, all our sacred art
Seeks that eternal, upward sloping view.
And now, my clearer eyes begin to see
The beauty our togetherness will be.
Isn't he awesome?

3 comments:

Lori said...

Hola, chica. I'm linking to you today (can't resist sharing the cure!)

I LOVE the sonnet and the story behind it (surely, that will be included, too?)

Just be sure you take out the apostrophe in "it's."

Rob should give romance lessons to struggling husbands. :0)

julianalovespy said...

Thanks a ton!

The it's is a contraction of it is, so I think it needs the apostrophe, doesn't it?

Lori said...

Duh. Yeah. I misread it. That's exactly why I haven't done any proofreading in the last year! Something about sleep deprivation and brain function . . .