Tuesday, February 03, 2009

For Daddy, On His Valentine Birthday

I had never imagined
not once
until yesterday

that those magical days
of wandering
through the woods
with an all-day sucker
staying in earshot
of the chainsaw
and later
the axe's chop and clack
exploring the mysterious
dark creek down in the
bottom

I didn't know those moments
could be remembered
as anything but
adventurous, luxurious
exciting

but now
I think of your freezing hands
your aching muscles
lifting the axe above
your head over and over
all day long

I see the mountain 
of triangular logs
in the back of the trailer
heaped high for us to sit on 
as we dodged low-hanging
branches on the way 
home

and I realize
only now

the neatly stacked
pile of wood
warming us through the
winter
was the fruit of 
a day of labor
and not 
a day of fun

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely.

So strange to witness childhood experiences from the other side...the work, the exhaustion, the satisfaction of seeing a child's delight in our effort.

julianalovespy said...

Thank you!

I seriously had never thought of those once-a-year wood cutting days as anything but bliss until I heard a story last week on NPR about a family that was chopping wood for their winter fuel and how much money it saved them. It suddenly dawned on my how useful all that wood was to my family back then.

Then I went to this day-long writer's workshop (through a random series of events since I had never imagined doing anything like that....) and that poem came out of an assignment. I'm glad you liked it.

I am thinking of giving it to Daddy on his birthday, but it makes me nervous.....maybe I will, maybe I won't.