Thursday, July 09, 2009

Those Crazy Words

Butterfly hates getting her hair washed.  


In retrospect, I regret being so careful with water when she was a baby, never letting it get in her face and eyes.  I thought I was being kind because I don't particularly like water in my own face, but I realize now that I missed my opportunity to desensitize her to it.  Now she hates the thought of a single drop getting near her face, which will be a huge problem when she takes swim lessons.


Sometimes when her hair gets dirty, I will just put it up in braided buns (aka Bear Ears) and put off the drama another day.  She has started using this as a negotiating technique.


This conversation occurred a few weeks ago, and I just came across my written record of it.

Mommy:  We are going to wash your hair today.


Butterfly:  I just want to have bear ears.


Mommy:  No, your hair is very very dirty and we have to wash it.


Butterfly:  I am going to be very unhappy if you wash my hair.


Mommy:  You shouldn't say that.  You should say, "I am going to be so happy because we are washing my hair, and my hair will be silky and clean."


Butterfly:  I'm just going to leave because you are saying those crazy words to me.

1 comment:

Nashdlp said...

Just read this...love it! Had to re-read to coworkers. :)