Sunday, February 24, 2008

Three Of Six

(This is the THIRD of six interesting/quirky/random things about myself.)
I love to do and make creative things.  Once upon a time, I was afraid to create because I thought that what I created would not be 'good enough' or 'perfect enough' or whatever enough. However, I have had the great privilege to be surrounded by creative friends who MUST create to live, and they have all encouraged me SO much to JUST DO things.  Just think of something and do it.  Even something as simple and silly as decorating an old Altoids tin.

So I DO create, whenever I get the chance.  Through it all, I have learned that the process is what is important - not some standard that you hold the end result to.   It has been very liberating and ever so rewarding to me.  I know that some people, when exposed to excellent art, feel intimidated and think "I could never do that".  But I just feel inspired and encouraged and thrilled with the possibility that, although I probably can't do THAT, I can do SOMETHING, and it will be FUN!

I really look forward to being creative with my daughter in future years, as her budding creativity progresses beyond the artful use of words and silly little dances and songs.  She has been a great inspiration to me ever since I learned to sew after she was born.  I started making her fun blankets and burp cloths because she spit up on a continual basis for the first few months of her life. We needed to have multiple (clean) bibs and burp cloths at all times, and frankly, the ones I found in stores were terribly uninspiring.  I never got around to attempting bibs, but I am still doing blankets and burp cloths for friends and an occasional craft market at our church.  These are some burp cloths that my mom helped me make this past Thanksgiving.  She did the sewing and I designed and cut everything out.

Now I am ever so excited to start on clothes for her.   I made this little skirt out of jeans that wouldn't stay snapped (on the inseam) and an antique pillow sham from my grandmother's house. I really want one for myself, but there's not enough of the sham left....sigh. 

If you'd like to see some other things I have made, you can go here.  Oh, and I got a bit creative with wrapping Christmas gifts this year, so you can see those as well in the Wrapping Art category.

No comments: