Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Smoke-free Tennessee...I wish

On Valentine's Day, Butterfly went to her first big concert: Sigur Ros at the Ryman. It was beautiful beyond belief. The loveliness made my chest ache at times, and Butterfly adored it. She sang and sang. Even now, when we play their recordings, she sings along...sometimes she even sounds like the lead singer. (You have to listen to them to understand that...)

Anyway, we were able to do that because they do not allow smoking at the Ryman, one of a myriad of reasons it's the best place in the world to see a band live.

We were also able to go see Rob perform his new stuff at The 5 Spot last night. I was planning on leaving if anyone was smoking, but to my great delight, there were signs on the door saying No Smoking Please. Yay!!!

However, there are a limited number of non-smoking venues in the great tobacco state of Tennessee, and I will be unable to see one of my favorite bands live because of disgusting smoke. Smoke that is dangerous to EVERYONE but especially babies.

Interesting fact: There are now at least 13 states that ban smoking in public places, and more states are considering legislation or have already passed a ban which will be effective at a future time. For more information, go to this site. Also, to see a limited list of non-smoking venues in Tennessee, go here. Do you think Nashville would ever consider a ban?

If the venue for this particular show were non-smoking, I could bring Butterfly, who would undoubtedly LOVE it. However, since I will not leave my baby with a sitter because she still nurses often and at irregular intervals, I will stay home with her.

(Another thing about a sitter: I waited 36 years to have a baby, and I really love spending time with her. I had lots of time alone without her & so far, there's been nothing interesting enough to lure me away from her. Sure, I want to see movies and bands, but not more than I want to see all her smiles and laughs. ALSO....this is no reflection on those who do have sitters - this is just my own personal preference for my own personal life.)

Since I cannot go, please attend on my behalf. You will surely be happy you did. For a preview of their music, click on each name to go to their MySpace pages.

Venus Hum with
The Suns Of Norway
and Timbre
May 6th @ 9 pm
Exit/In $10
GO!

No comments: