Sunday, February 24, 2008

One Of Six

My friend, Her Royal Excitedness, has 'tagged' me from her blog to write six interesting/quirky/random things about myself.  I think her words were something like,"since she hasn't written anything on her blog since September and she probably has a great list".

Well, it is TRUE that I haven't written anything since September, but I don't know if I can come up with anything about myself other than that I am a mom and a wife. I seem to have lost my former self in those roles that consume all of my time. But I'll try to remember, so here goes: 

I am really interested in family genealogy, and I have traced all four lines (via grandparents) back quite far. I have really enjoyed finding out their names and where they came from. Some started out in England, went to New England, and eventually ended up in Alabama, where I am from. I could probably be a Daughter of the American Revolution through one of those lines because I discovered one of my ancestors served in the American Revolution; however, the documentation requirements are pretty strict. Maybe by the time Bella goes to college we will have found everything we need, and she can get DAR scholarships.

I have traced the Glasgow (my maiden name) line back to Ireland, but I am stuck there. I was always told that they were from Scotland since Glasgow is there. Perhaps they started out there and made a stop for a while in Ireland before continuing to South Carolina and eventually Lamar County, Alabama.

Last summer, I decided to try to find the graves of as many of my closer ancestors as I could when I went home to visit my parents. I discovered that every single great-grandparent (8 total) is buried within 15 minutes of where I grew up and my parents still live. I also found several great-greats and some even beyond that. I took pictures of all of their tombstones to document my findings.  

Here is the tombstone of Wilson Archibald Glasgow, my great-great-great grandfather, discovered 5 minutes from my parents house. (See what I mean about the names!) It is in teensy old country church cemetery that is situated about half-way between my house & where we went to church. I drove by it so often and never even knew he (and his wife and children) were buried there. There was another marker on his grave indicating that he was a Confederate soldier.

(Apparently this stuff is way too quirky to keep short.  Or maybe I've just missed writing so much that I can't stop.  This is enough for one post.  Stay tuned for the rest!)

No comments: