Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Confessions Of An Idiot

I wasn't feeling well today, so I watched some mindless tv on the web while my daughter watched Curious George on the real television.  And there is no doubt Butterfly was on the higher entertainment echelon. 

It was one of those shows where they used to all be high school kids, but now they are all adults because they skipped a few years between seasons.  So they were showing a flashback from 3 years ago to catch the viewer up.  Well, in the scene that supposedly took place 3 years ago, this guy was using what was clearly an iPhone to text his girlfriend.  But there was no iPhone then.  Not even a $599 one.

So I was telling my husband about it a few minutes ago, and remarking that I couldn't believe that no one - writers, actors, directors, producers, editors - absolutely no one caught the anachronism or bothered to do anything about it if they did.  I said, "They must think we're idiots."  And he said, "Well, what show was it?"

Then there was just silence because I couldn't possibly admit to my exceptionally intelligent husband the name of the actual show. I like to maintain at least the illusion of the clever wife, you know.

And I realized that maybe they are right. We are idiots.

No comments: