Tuesday, July 22, 2008

The Miniature Maxi-Dress

The funniest thing happened to me last Saturday:  after I posted the story of the sewing elves' visit, they magically re-appeared!  I think they like the publicity.

This time, we constructed a maxi-dress for Butterfly.  I had a couple of really pretty cotton scraps from my grandmother's house.  It looked like someone had re-purposed an old table cloth or sheet, and I had the leftover pieces.   

Together with the elves, I came up with this:


Don't you LOVE that fabric?  It is so soft and so groovy!  You can't tell in this picture, but it goes all the way down to her ankles.     

I still didn't use a pattern, and if she grows very much, I will have to re-construct it.  The bodice is held together with a hook & eye and only opens down to the gathers (the back of the skirt is just one piece).  So there's not much room for her actually squeeze into it -- it's a tight enterprise, especially with little wiggly arms.  Once it is on, though, it is quite roomy, and she just loves it.  If only she would stay little forever... 

I am even more envious of this dress than I am of the tutu because I have wanted a maxi dress (a long sun dress) for several months now.  They were all the rage in the 70s, and now they are wonderfully back!  I love how they are so flow-y and breezy and all those fabulous things.  

And here's the exciting thing:  I won't have to wait long because I am about to start making my own!  I will be using the fabric I got for my birthday and a new pattern I got last week.  I meant to make The Walk Away dress with it, but I am a little nervous about that pattern and decided I wanted a maxi-dress more anyway.  I'll try the other dress with some not-quite-so-expensive fabric, I think.

I'll keep you posted on that project.  Hopefully, one day I'll show you a picture of Butterfly and mommy in their respective maxi-dresses.  If the sewing elves will just come back!

(This post is part of the Water Cooler Wednesday blog carnival at Ethos.)

6 comments:

Lori said...

Julie! I LOVE these posts. You are crazy-creative and Oh, SO, INSPIRING! You could pull off a tutu, too. Seriously.

Shyla said...

If only I could convince my daughter to wear dresses...she was so cool when she was like 2 and 3, now that she is the ripe old age of almost five, she has decided she would rather eat brussell sprouts than be seen in a dress.

Alas.

But I would totally pay you to make her some cool dresses :o)

I need another girl...

julianalovespy said...

Thanks for the compliments (and the encouragement to wear the tutu!)

Shyla, I think I should learn to use a pattern before I let someone pay me actual money. Maybe then the dresses would work like they are supposed to and not just look cute! Give me time, though. I'll learn one of these days!

JM said...

That is a beautiful dress! Check out this link for another cute idea!

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=170402.msg1742893#msg1742893

julianalovespy said...

Laurie, I totally have that site bookmarked and already have a shirt picked out for it. All I need now is time....

I can't believe we found the same one. The internet is a small world, isn't it!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.