Monday, March 17, 2008

High Hopes

Well, I am going to make a dress.  Or maybe I should say, I am going to try to make a dress.

For my birthday, my mother took me shopping for a present, and I chose to get the above pattern, some gorgeous fabric, and a few fun notions to make the fabulous vintage-looking wrap dress on the right.  Here's the fabric:


I am really excited, and if I must confess, more than a little nervous.  I had a really difficult time picking out the fabric, and that is the easy part.  When I got home, opened the pattern, and looked at the instructions, my heart starting beating faster and I sort of lost my breath.

I just started sewing a couple of years ago, and up until now, I've pretty much only sewn straight lines.   I've only used a pattern once in my life - to make an apron in 5th grade for 4-H. (And that went so well, it took me this long to try again.)  Even then, my mother was there telling me exactly what to do.  And not to do.  And how to take out seams.  A lot.

Since then I have mainly just cut squares and sewn them together.  Then a few weeks ago, I made Butterfly a little skirt out of pants, and I thought, "Well, if I can do this I could really make some fun clothes if I used a pattern!"  

But my mother, the expert seamstress, has gone back home now, leaving me here with a pattern, fabric, notions and a toddler.  Hm.  

I hope this turns out well.

3 comments:

JM said...

I love, love, love this dress!! It is so beautiful! Keep me posted, I'd love to see how it turns out!

julianalovespy said...

Thanks, Laurie! I may decide to make a dress for Bella first. At least it is smaller....a little less intimidating! We'll see...

Rob Higginbotham said...

BTW, I keep meaning to tell you. I had someone come into C.C. a while back, and I mentioned about you getting into sewing. Well, apparently she was a master seamstress, and she told me a hint for you to try. She said that a great way to practice is with a sheet of paper. You just remove the thread (and bobbin?) and the needle will poke through the paper and show you how even and accurate you are.