Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Not every day an aurora borealis

This is for Aurora White and her parents. I think of this every time I see you - hope you are feeling better now!
Not Every Day an Aurora Borealis for Your Birthday

It is because I love you I give you for a birthday present the aurora borealis.

It was a long trip I took carrying the aurora borealis to you. Slippery is the aurora borealis. You think you have a hold of it - but it is sliding away off your hands and shoulders and you have to stop and get a better hold on it.

Many times it came near getting away from me. But I struggled with it and went on struggling...till at last I laid on your doorstep, on your front porch, stretching high into the sky, that fine big stack of shimmering swimmering lights, that good old reliable aurora borealis.

When you want another aurora borealis you tell me and I will go where the aurora borealises grow and I will struggle and go on struggling till I lay on your doorstep, on your front porch, one more aurora borealis, to show I love you.

And if you write to me saying you would like to have a big rainbow fresh off the sky, I will struggle and go on struggling till you see it right there on your doorstep, your front porch.

You can see I am a struggler ready any day to struggle on to show you I love you.
It is the text of a little book called Not Every Day an Aurora Borealis for Your Birthday: A Love Poem by Carl Sandburg. It is wonderfully illustrated by Anita Lobel, and I would highly recommend getting the book if you can find it. It is such a beautiful and delightful work of art, just like baby Aurora.

No comments: