Friday, January 20, 2006

She speaks (and watches Lost)

Here's a hodgepodge entry today. First, you must listen to the cute Butterfly speak here. Isn't she adorable? These are her happy coos. She also has some frustrated coos, as well.

I read in my baby book (The Baby Book, by William Sears & Martha Sears -- the BEST ever) that if parents respond quickly to their baby's cries and cues, then the baby learns that it doesn't need to cry for it's needs and instead uses other means of communication first. And it is true - if Butterfly is frustrated, she is starting to use her frustrated coos instead of a whine or a cry. Some (crazy) people think that if you ignore a baby's cries, you can 'train' it not to cry (so it won't manipulate you into meeting its needs or something - I don't know). However, if a baby is ignored when it is giving early signals or crying, it will learn to cry MORE and not less. In fact, those babies will start out with their loudest cries immediately when they have a need, probably because they have learned that no one is listening to their other signals.

We have always tried to respond to Butterfly as quickly as possible when she has a need, and she really cries very little. Now that she is becoming verbal, she is really communicating even more and crying and whining even less when she is frustrated. So it really works!

Now on to Lost....does anyone else reading this blog watch Lost? (For that matter, does anyone else read this blog.....?) Since Butterfly can't talk back and tell me what she thinks and Rob is at work most of the time, I have discovered some interesting message boards talking about Lost. I haven't posted anything yet, but it is interesting to read what others think. Here is an interesting and very complex theory. What do you think?

Wednesday night's episode was interesting. People are wondering why Sawyer was calling the 'other' man Zeke. My theory is that when the boat met up with the raft at sea last season, the guy introduced himself as Zeke (before shooting Sawyer and kidnapping Walt). Of course, my memory is not really functioning now after almost 4 months of sleep deprivation, so I could have imagined that. We do have that episode on DVD (we watched it in Hungary after Mike D sent it to us - YAY) so Rob says I should watch it again and see. But it was so traumatic!

(Funny - Rob got me extra memory for my iBook at Chrismas. I asked him if he could also upgrade my brain's memory.....)

Back to Lost, some people think Walt was one of the others holding the torches. Also that there weren't really that many others - it was just a trick of some kind. What do you think? Can't wait till next week!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm reading too, and waiting for more cutie baby pictures!!