Friday, January 13, 2006

Technologically speaking

I have discovered the web browser Firefox (via my husband, who tends to discover the tech things first) and have been using it for the last couple of weeks. And WOW! I love it - much more than IE or Safari. I think everyone should try it and experience these fun things:

Live Bookmarks: Some web pages have RSS feeds that let your browser know when the pages are updated. Firefox uses this & it is my favorite feature. Basically, you bookmark a page and then when you want to go there, you click on your bookmark to see a dropdown list of the new articles, etc. on the page. You can click on one of them & it will go directly to that article. This bypasses the step of loading the page and then going to the new article. For example, instead of going to my entire blog, you could just go to the latest blog entry. And then, of course, if there is nothing new, you can just skip going to the page.

Tabbed Browsing: Within one browser window, you can open up several tabs at once to view different pages (instead of opening new windows). This works with the above bookmark feature - you can open all the updates in tabs & it does it all at once. So while you are reading one, others can be loading.There are other features like popup ad blocking, virus protection, etc. And there are some really neat search features I haven't tried yet, but sound really easy & quick. Quick is important because we have dial-up still, and I wait long enough for things as it is!

So....go here and try out Mozilla's Firefox browser - it's free! Let me know what you think if you try it. Or if you already use it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was using "tabbed" browsing before it had that name. =)

To my knowledge, Opera was the first major web browser to implement an MDI (Multi Document Interface) style. I started using that back in 1997 (and I'm using to type this right now).

Mozilla (and later Firefox) implemented a tabbed interface, which is pretty good. I also use that.

There was a time, when I spent more time running windows, that I used an add-on for IE called Crazy Browser that supported tabbed browsing. IE is supposed to have native tabs in the next version, I think.

Anyway, the point is that I use Firefox, among other things, and that I'm hip to the skinny.

Have you tried bookmarking a group of tabs? This basically creats a subfolder in your bookmarks that you can later open all at once, as a group. It's a handy way to save the state of your browsing and be able to load those pages again later without much effort.